I love the crumb topping because it hugs the pie instead of creating a space of air between the pie and the top crust I also add nuts to the crust which gives it even more flavor. MMM - so good.
Check out the post for Nonie's Cherry Cheese Pie for links to more information on the pie festival.
Apple Crumb Pie
- 2 1/4 pounds mixed apples (I used 3 different varieties)
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Peel and core the apples. Slice them thinly.
- Add the lemon juice 1 teaspoon at a time and toss the apples gently after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and toss to distribute.
- In a small bowl combine the remaining ingredients. Toss the sugar mixture with the apples.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Cut the butter into about 8 pieces.
- Place everything into a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
- To mix by hand, cut the butter into the flour and sugar. finely chop the nuts and add to the flour and butter mixture.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1 recipe filling
- 1 recipe crumb topping
Fill in all those nooks and crannies with crumb topping!
- Preheat oven to 350. Place a baking sheet in the oven.
- Roll out crust and place in a deep dish pie plate. Crimp edges high.
- Add the filling to the crust and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the apples, filling all the nooks and crannies.
- Place the pie on the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Turn the oven off but leave the pie in the oven to cool, at least 60 minutes during which the pie continues to gently cook and reach peak consistency.
- Refrigerate if not serving right away.