In a random drawing from the comments for the family four pack of tickets to the Never-Ending Pie Buffet at the The 2014 Great American Pie Festival® #2 came up!
This is a wonderful event for the whole family so I hope to see you there.
Monday, April 14, 2014
As always it is being held in the quaint town of Celebration, FL the weekend of April 26th and 27th, 2014.
You can check it out here:
You can also check out my review of the event here:
One of the highlights of the festival is the Never-Ending Pie Buffet. It is basically a block long pie buffet and you get to try as much as you like. Stay all day and go back to it over and over!
I have a family four pack of tickets to the Never-Ending Pie Buffet to giveaway!
If you plan to be in town and heading for the Pie Festival here is what to do. To enter all you need to do is tell me in the comments what your favorite pie is. Check out my recipes! My favorite is the Key Lime Pie from this post:
I will choose one winner from all the entries on Thursday, April 17th, 2014 in a random drawing.
Also, watch for the post I was planning for this day which is actually a favorite Southern specialty and savory to boot: Tomato Pie coming soon.
Thursday, March 27, 2014
For this weeks pie contribution I made Sweet Potato Pie. This pie is so good. It totally exceeded my expectations. We all think it is so much better than pumpkin pie. I used one of my favorite ingredients in the filling: browned butter. MMM so good!
Check out the pie pan I have been using. It has this lever in it. When I am ready to serve the pie I swirl the lever around the pie pan and it releases the pie from the pan. I was skeptical at first thinking it would tear at the crust but it works like a charm. My slices come right out. If you can find one of these pans I highly recommend it.
We are now one month away from the 2014 Great American Pie Festival. It will be held in Celebration, FL the weekend of April 26-27. If you are headed to the festival you will want to check out next weeks post as I will be having a give away. A family four pack of tickets to the Never Ending Pie Buffet. For more information on the festival you can go here:
You can also check out my write up on the festival here:
And now for the recipe.
Sweet Potato Pie
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (yield from about 1 1/4 pounds steamed, peeled)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup plus1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- In a small dish mix together the 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and set aside.
- Place a sturdy baking sheet in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place pie crust in pie pan and crimp the edges. Place in the refrigerator while preparing filling.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat, whisking constantly for 2-3 minutes or until it is a golden brown and smells nutty. Take care not to burn it.
- In a large mixing bowl blend together the butter and the 1/2 cup sugar.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add the milk, sweet potatoes, vanilla and spices. Mix well.
- Pour the filling into the shell. Sprinkle the cinnamon/sugar mix evenly over top of the pie.
- Place the pie on the heated baking sheet and bake at 425 for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 350 and bake for an additional 35 minutes.
- Cool and store in the refrigerator.