One of my favorite companies was there: Ocean Mist Farms. They grow one of my all time favorite vegetables - artichokes. Indeed I have been a member of their Artichoke Club for years. Every month they send you tips on preparing artichokes and an opportunity to win a case of them. You can check them out here: http://www.oceanmist.com/
Yesterday I got a wonderful surprise in the mail from one of the representatives I met. A case of their wonderful Heirloom Artichokes direct from Castroville, CA. I plan to try several different preparations and began today with these Roasted Artichokes with Roasted Garlic Butter. The roasting caramelized the artichokes giving them a deep rich flavor. I served them as an appetizer.
|Remove the choke. It is not hard!|
|Put garlic where the choke used to be. It will roast right along with the artichoke.|
1/2 to 1 whole artichoke per person
2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 peeled clove of garlic per artichoke half
1 tablespoon butter per artichoke half
Preheat Oven to 450.
1. Trim about 1/2 inch off the stem end of the artichoke. Place it stem side up on the cutting board and cut it in half. Immediately brush the cut side with lemon juice using a pastry brush.
2. Use a pairing knife to cut right under the fuzzy choke then scoop it out with a spoon. Brush again with lemon juice.
3. Brush the artichokes all over with olive oil and season with salt. Place a garlic clove in the cavity where the choke was.
4. Making sure the garlic stays in place put the artichokes cut side down on a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes.
5. Turn the artichokes cut side up, keeping the garlic in place and roast for another 15 minutes.
6. Turn them a final time and continue roasting until done. Another 10 minutes or so.
To serve, melt the butter. Have each person mash their garlic clove in their butter dish and then divide the butter evenly among the dishes. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.